A brief history of my time in the blogosphere…
Aaron the Liberal Slayer – the ugliest b2 blog in history. b2 is what used to be WordPress.
Aaron’s Rantblog – less ugly but still ugly
Aaron’s cc: – content worth copying to your friends and enemies. Achievements:
- Once #42 among the top most linked-to blogs in the Ecosystem.
- Invented Blogopoly and the Deck of Bloggers.
- Founding member of the Watchers of Weasels blog carnival.
- Inventor of Buy A Gun Day.
- Webmaster and contributor to Huffington’s Toast, 2005’s brief experiment in cutting-edge parody. For about 100 days, Steve, Moxie, Allahpundit, Jeff and I were a humor supergroup akin to Blind Faith. We were funnier than The Onion, but that didn’t take much. During our run, I met Andrew Breitbart at a post-taping party for Ann Coulter who had just appeared on Craig Ferguson’s show. Breitbart was hired away from Drudge to create the initial Huffington Post, and he was greatly amused. Monetizing “Toast” never happened. We got attention from National Review. Like most supergroups, the breakup was both inevitable and painful. As “Kumar”, paid in bowls of curry, I got satisfaction in developing our technology and having our design exceeding Huffpo’s during its first year. Steve, a friend I met in college when I was 17, expunged the Wayback Machine of all Huffington’s Toast content over a decade ago. Pity.
- Caused massive downtime for many major blogs (Instapundit, Hugh Hewitt, ___) when my site was targeted by jihadis whose IP addresses originated in Saudi Arabia. References:
- Michelle Malkin:
- Hosting Matters Attacked
See comments 26, 59, 62, 86, 112, 115, 130, 140, 145, 151, 156, 160, 168, 175, 178, 187, 194, 221… . Much was due to my hosting a mirror of Zombietime’s Mohammed Image Archives as well as my own additions which often exceeded their taunting the so-called “Religion of Peace”.
- Hosting Matters Attacked
Since approximately 4:00 pm Pacific Daylight Time, Six Apart has been the victim of a sophisticated distributed denial of service attack. This has affected all of Six Apart’s sites, causing intermittent and limited availability for TypePad, LiveJournal, TypeKey, sixapart.com, movabletype.org and movabletype.com. Our network operations staff is working around the clock with our Internet access providers to resolve the issue. We appreciate your patience and support, and will provide updates as we have them.
Updated May 6, 2006, 8:52 pm PDT
|#187||zombie 4/28/2006 10:56AM PDT|
It’s going to be OK — the transition to the new servers usually takes about 12 hours at least. During the interim, Aaron’s site will be inaccessible.Aaron, you should be getting an email from HM soon giving your the new ftp connect info for the new server(s). If you’re like me, you may have to “double-upload” because your site will be mirrored across two (or more) non-synced servers, to handle future attacks.
Look at the bright side: “Aaron’s cc” is now a legendary blog, with bragging rights to being on the cutting edge of the Cyber-Crusade!
When the Saudis target you specifically, it means you’ve got their number.
In the end, Hosting Matters punted me.